Monday, November 3, 2008

Moshekwa Langa



Untitled XXI, 2005
For me, this photo is about a peace that is just out of reach. I somehow don't want to sit in the chair. It feels like an invitation to stand back, looking for a place of quiet. It is not a warm room, yet it is not cold either. I love how there is nuance in what seems to be a simple scene. I really appreciate how the light bathes the right of the frame while gently tapering off to the left.

The artist was born in 1975 in South Africa and now lives and works in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. He creates works that are poetic and personal while also engaging in the worlds of art, politics, and popular culture. He often explores themes of exile. Perhaps that is what I see in this photo: a place that once was home but is no longer available for sitting.

No comments: